Old news from Armidale and New England

Local news from newspaper archives

Shooting at Steam Engine Hotel

with 7 comments

Tuesday 3 March 1891, The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser

ARMIDALE.

Monday.

A tragedy occurred yesterday at the Steam Engine Hotel, when, during an altercation, Thomas Fitzgerald, a railway porter, shot a fellow lodger named Carl Frier Von Schonherr, in the abdomen, with a small revolver. Schonherr was conveyed to the hospital, and his depositions taken, and he is in a precarious state. Fitzgerald was arrested, and brought before the court this morning, and remanded.

The weather cleared to-night; and the show which opens on Wednesday, promises to be a great success, the entries being the largest ever received here.

Written by macalba

May 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with

7 Responses

1. Does anyone have any idea where the Steam Engine Hotel was situated? As a young boy I remember a derelict hotel on the western side of Miller St where the petrol depots are/were. This 2 story brick building was occupied at the time by some “down and out” families and was demolished in the late 1950’s I think. Given its proximity to the railway goods depot I think it may have been the Steam Engine Hotel. I may be wrong. – John Caling

John Caling

June 29, 2011 at 11:33 am

• I’ve yet to find anybody who knows of such a Hotel. I have been reminded, however, that steam engines were commonly used in places other than railway locomotives.

macalba

June 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm

2. I don’t know where the Steam Engine Hotel was in Armidale, but I have come across it when researching my family history. The hotel was owned by my great-grandfather Matthew Butler, around 1875. At the same time he also owned the Traveller’s Rest Hotel.

Jan Mannix

January 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm

• Hi Jan. That’s interesting to know. I wonder, then, if Butler Street owes its name to him? Or the same Butler family?

macalba

January 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm

3. I’ve just been looking further, and found some info I gathered while in Armidale. The Steam Engine Hotel wan on Rusden Street, near Ohio St. It was renamed the Grand Hotel in 1923.

As for Butler Street, it’s quite possible that Butler St was named after Matthew, as he was quite prominent in the Armidale area.

Jan Mannix

January 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

• Well, well. Thanks Jan, that’s solved a little mystery for us!

Gordon

macalba

January 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

4. Can anyone help me re Mathew’s wife Margaret… was her maiden name Baillie, Cameron OR Kilkelly?
    I am especially interested in Mathew’s daughter Mary Winifred b 1864 Armidale. Thank you. Cassandra

Cassandra